Sunday, March 9, 2008

Birthday Party

Friday night we hosted a party for Jackson's 7th birthday. We had 5 kids over to spend the night. I have to say that Tonya was a little nervous for some reason. I'm the one that is usually scared of kids and she is the one hiding. This scared me because she is the one that is comfortable around 25 4th graders and ultimately has our game plan on surviving the night.

She did have everything planned, but this was the problem. When they arrived and started tackling each other, she realized that they probably would not be interested in the multitude of science experiments that we had planned for our evening entertainment. We had to go to plan B. I started acting like a drill sargeant and then I would not acknowledge them unless they called me Big Jon. Then Big Jon talked as much trash and kicked their butt in every challenge that I could come up with. (Mainly Guitar Hero, I rocked!)

Then it was time for the eruption. Jackson had asked for a volcano birthday cake, so I found some ideas on the internet to make one that was supposed to erupt. I had to try this out. We had had a mock eruption on thursday, but it did not go so well, so I was a little nervous. I had made a cake that was four layers thick and full of toothpicks to keep it from destroying itself. Then in the top, you put aluminum foil and fill it full of egg whites, sugar, food coloring and dry ice. Then when you add hot water it was supposed to erupt and run lava down the sides.

Then we stayed up late and later played in the snow. I would write more about all that, but it's dinner time around here and Wes and Will are not happy. Big Jon has got to go.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

What? An erupting cake? I guess my invitation was lost in the mail. You guys deserve a medal for surviving that group of kids.

-Shawn

Ashley said...

LOVE IT! What I love most is the cackling kids impressed with eruption. ( I can pick out my cackler)